The Partnership for Good Governance aims to help the EU’s six Eastern Partner countries move closer to European standards on human rights, democracy and the rule of law. Working closely with national authorities and other stakeholders, the programme helps bring about changes to laws and practices through reviews of legislation, improving the efficiency of public institutions, training courses for professionals and sharing of information, experiences and best practices, through county-specific and regional projects.
The overall objective of the programme is to increase the stabilisation and resilience of the EU’s Eastern neighbours.
Specifically, the programme aims to:
1) Strengthen the rule of law and anti-corruption mechanisms;
2) Foster the implementation of key judicial reforms;
3) Provide for a Quick Response Mechanism for ad-hoc support of the Venice Commission;
4) Assess the performance of the judiciary.
Activities under components 1-3 include:
-Institution building through support to processes of institutional change.
-Policy guidance and advisory tools.
-Publications providing regional, comparative data on achievements and impact of programme activities.
Under component 4:
-Conduct of regional justice surveys enabling the assessment of the establishment of a track record regarding court performance and independence across the EaP countries by the beneficiaries.
The first phase of the programme, which included 50 country-specific and multilateral initiatives, ran from 2015 to 2018.
– Strengthening the rule of law and anti-corruption mechanisms including measures on prevention and combating corruption, as well as measures on prevention and combating money-laundering/terrorist financing;
– Fostering the implementation of key judicial reforms with a view to strengthening the independence, quality and efficiency of the judiciary;
– Providing a quick response mechanism for ad-hoc support of the Venice Commission on a needs basis;
– Assesing the performance of the judiciary.
Council of Europe
Strengthening of institutions, good governance and security; Strengthening of institutions, good governance and security
Start Date: 2019-03-01
End Date: 2022-02-28
Council of Europe
€17 500 000