The project will improve parliamentary oversight over the security sector and increase transparency by ensuring effective parliamentary oversight over defense and security agencies and improve the relevant legislation of Georgia.
The specific purpose of this project is to introduce new methodologies and best practices that can strengthen the legislative and oversight activities of the Parliament in relation with defense and security agencies, including by increasing professional skills of Parliamentary Committees (Defense and Security Committee, Legal Affairs Committee, Human Rights and Civil Integration Committee), staff/ Group of Trust.
The project consists of 6 components:
1. Codified military legislation
2. Enhanced capacity of the respective Parliamentary Committees and staff and the Group of Trust for efficient oversight of the defense and security sector
3. Enhanced financial-budgetary Parliamentary oversight and monitoring of the defense and security budgets as well as procurement monitoring tools
4. Strengthened analytical capacities of the staff of the relevant Parliamentary Committees
5. Improved monitoring capacities of cases of human rights violations, with specific attention to gender sensitivities
6. Improved communication
– Codified military legislation – The purpose of the component is to provide parliament with tools and other capacities to monitor and oversee changes to the Georgian legislative framework including creating more legal certainty by government, establishing a clear codification of the existing legislation as well as introducing amendments to the existing laws or drafting new dispositions to supersede the old ones and adapt the legislative principles to the best European and international standards.
– Enhanced capacity of the respective parliamentary committees and staff and the Group of Trust for efficient oversight of the defense and security sector
– Enhanced financial-budgetary parliamentary oversight and monitoring of the defense and security budgets as well as procurement monitoring tools
– Strengthened analytical capacities of the staff of the relevant Parliamentary Committees
– Improved monitoring capacities of cases of human rights violations, with specific attention to gender sensitivities
– Improved communication – This component is focused on developing an effective, sustainable communication and information exchange between the relevant institutions responsible for the oversight of security and defense sector as well as between central institutions and the civil society in order to strengthen the latter participation in the decision-making process and to raise awareness of the on-going political and legislative reforms. This component provides key sensitive elements that need to be considered very carefully through specific strategies in order to guarantee the full achievement of the results.
– Parliament will be provided with the tools and capacity to monitor and oversee changes to the Georgian legislative framework.
– Beneficiary parliamentary committees, their staff and the Group of Trust will increase capacity to conduct effective oversight of the defense and security sector.
– Beneficiary committees, staff will increase capacity to conduct budgetary oversight taking into account gender budgeting component.
– Beneficiary committees, staff will increased awareness about Human rights, gender issues related to the security sector and thus, are able to conduct more inclusive oversight.
BUSINESS AND STRATEGIES IN EUROPE
Strengthening of institutions, good governance and security
Start Date: 2017-10-01
End Date: 2018-05-31
BUSINESS AND STRATEGIES IN EUROPE