The project contributes to the protection of the environment and public health in the region, through reducing the risk posed by hazardous waste and strengthening the life cycle management of chemicals, with specific emphasis on pesticides as a model group of hazardous chemicals.
– To improve awareness of the risks associated with obsolete pesticides and hazardous chemicals;
– To strengthen knowledge of the problem by compiling inventories of pesticide stockpiles, and to strengthen local capacity to carry out risk assessments remediation of polluted sites;
– To improve the legislative framework in line with EU policy approaches and multilateral environment agreements;
– To prevent the recurrence of obsolete pesticides by strengthening effective life cycle management for pesticides and promoting strategies to reduce pesticide use.
– Develop comprehensive inventories of obsolete stocks;
– Implement a series of demonstration safeguarding projects to illustrate internationally recognised standards of health, safety and environmental compliance;
– Conduct a survey of pesticide and waste management capacity in the region, with the aim of identifying regional disposal options;
– Provide support for the development of strategy documents and legislation;
– Develop national awareness campaigns on reducing risks of exposure to pesticides and promoting alternatives to pesticides;
– Conduct capacity building actions in risk assessment and waste disposal.