The purpose of the Twinning project is to develop the institutional framework for the implementation of regulation of Georgia’s energy market in line with the EU acquis. It works with Georgian National Energy and Water Supply Regulatory Commission (GNERC), as the independent national regulatory authority and builds on the achievements of past EU-supported initiatives.
The project strengthens capacities of GNERC through the development of tools and mechanisms based on the best-EU practice on designing incentive-based regulation for service quality and developing regulatory strategy to support roll-out of smart metering.
Introduction of smart metering for energy supply in Georgia brings benefits in terms of efficient operations of the equipment, better demand predictability, reduced illegal consumption and increased contracted power.
To assist Georgia to gradually harmonize its regulatory framework with the EUEnergy acquis and promote efficient, safe, modern and secure operation of energy infrastructure in Georgia
– Capacity of the GNERC’s staff strengthened to design incentive-based regulation for service quality and develop regulatory strategy to support roll-out of smart metering according to the EU best standards.
– Contribution to the adoption of an incentive-based regulation for service quality and reliability of supply in electricity sector,
– Contribution to the adoption of an incentive-based regulation for service quality in natural gas sector
– Knowledge and skills of GNERC management and staff in relation to smart metering strengthened
– Draft regulatory strategy to support roll-out of smart metering in electricity and natural gas sector prepared.
Energie-Control Austria für die Regulierung der Elektrizitäts- und Erdgaswirtschaft
Connectivity, energy efficiency, environment and climate change
Region: All Georgia
€1 200 000